Wednesday, November 28, 2007

slam poetry in the classroom


About Six years ago, wow, I was really into the Slam Movement but reality check happen and needed to find a career and life where I am happy. Turn out to very difficult life living to paycheck to paycheck. Not knowing if you hit big and that your poetry would actually entertain people or not. The politics, personalities, and general effect that was a focus in my life. Channeling the energy into other things like teaching and my life outside of teaching. But I think Slam Poetry is a great outlet for some people who need to raise other people's awareness about certain issues through the spoken word. How it has developed into an international thing, but never the memories or the experience that is what I am made up and don't deny its existence at all. Peace.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

You and I should get back into the Slam scene! My friend Todd Bannon hosts most of the poetry shows around town, and he's starting up a Student group on campus to bring Slam to the university crowd. Personally, I think some of the stuffy creative writing majors could benefit from a little excitement :)

If you're interested, check out http://pakzoo.org/

I'd like to start attending more events when I can. Bring along a few friends and some stuff to read for open mic!